10 years of Vavoom

Vavoom news.

10 years of Vavoom

Postby Janis Legzdinsh » 13 Jun 2010 21:51

Today Vavoom turns 10 years old and to celebrate this a new version has been released. This version introduces advanced level renderer which is able to do Doom 3 style shadows. Currently it's available only with OpenGL renderer, Direct3D version will come later.

I've also decided that it's time to retire software renderer, so this is going to be the last release that has it.

Enjoy!
Janis Legzdinsh
Site Admin

Re: 10 years of Vavoom

Postby Alex-bomber_Man » 14 Jun 2010 08:24

WOOOOWWWWWWWWWW 0_0 that are kick-ass news. My dream became truth, Now vavoom is the first sourceport supporting shadows, thats cool. The even more cool thing - they dont discrease performance! You are my god, Janis! But i would like you not to kill the software renderer. it was cool. And a few more dreams - make shadows optionally and enable shadow calculating from static lights, i think it's really to do =)
Alex-bomber_Man

Postby b0rsuk » 14 Jun 2010 09:59

What do you mean: "they don't decrease performance" ?

When I smash a stained glass in Winnowing Hall (Hexen's first level), FPS drops to around 20. Could have something to do with light being calculated separatedly for each floating bit of glass (speculation). I also noted 10 times fewer FPS in more crowded DooM wads, like Alien Vendetta.

Is something wrong with my computer, or has Vavoom advanced renderer progressed so much since 6th June ?
b0rsuk

Postby Firebrand » 14 Jun 2010 12:19

Performance can be incrased if you build glVIS data for the maps, there has been a big improvement on performance since June 6th :), you should definitely try the newer version if you aren't already ;).

As for 10 years of Vavoom, let's hope there are 10 more years! 8) Congrats to Janis for the great work on Vavoom.
Firebrand

Postby passerby » 14 Jun 2010 13:57

Firebrand wrote:Performance can be incrased if you build glVIS data for the maps

So unlike original Doom you always render whole level :o ?
passerby

Postby b0rsuk » 14 Jun 2010 16:06

It looks like Vavoom is severely underrated. Now I know why - it lacks documentation and (usually trivial) polish. I wasn't aware of glVis, I assumed if there's anything worthwile it would be enabled by default. If you spend a little time documenting and describing what Vavoom is capable of, it will get attention it deserves.
b0rsuk

Postby Alex-bomber_Man » 14 Jun 2010 20:14

I have NVidia Geforce 9500 with 512mb ddr3 ram, 2.8gHz celeron processor and 2banks of 1gb 533mHz DDR2 ram - i got 15-20 fps on vavoom doom2 demomap vith vavoom modelpack, where models are not too optimized, it is enough for such a lighted map with more then 10k shadowed polygons in the frame =) Vavoom is the best! :slayer:
Alex-bomber_Man

Postby BlackJar72 » 17 Jun 2010 16:20

This is what make Vavoom great -- your smart enough to add the right feature without slowing the game down with things that don't really add to it. I've tried some of the other source ports, but only Vavoom is really worth running.
BlackJar72

Postby ChupaReaper » 12 Aug 2010 10:29

I'm new to Vavoom, I've kinda given up with GZDoom, this seems to have all the GZDoom stuff though so I should be able to move my old project across and start revamping it, can't wait to see these shadows. I also think it's a good idea your finishing with the software renderer it'll only slow the port down, a half decent system these days should run opengl/d3d so I don't see the point in a software renderer, really less work with a software renderer means more with with gl/d3d features, I'd love to see some shaders but that's a lot to ask for I think, md2s are nice for now but if you do go for another format md5 would be a good choice, my opinion here though.
My mod has been offline for quite some time now but got pretty using using models (only used sprites for particles so monsters, etc had no sprites only models) but I might bring it back using vavoom, if it can do everything gzdoom can do then for me this is the best port out there lol (jdoom looks nice but that's jsut about it really wud never mod on it, gzdoom is dying now by the looks of it and vavoom seems to be ahead of it now).
I'm going to try this port when I get home and hopefully my mod will run on it. Prog scripts seem good too.
ChupaReaper

Postby Giomancer » 17 Sep 2010 17:49

Fantastic! It's wonderful to see that Vavoom is still around! I remember that some time ago I had started to do documentation for Vavoom.. lost to time now, unfortunately. I suppose that I could always try again. ^^

- Gio
Giomancer

Return to News