I totally agree that user documentation is lacking.
I was looking for instructions on how to compile Vavoom and couldn't find anything. I looked in 'docs' subdirectory, tried several files but they were written in a language I couldn't even recognize, much less understand. I assumed all docs are in that language.I tried some more, then, desperate, went back to the docs directory. Surprise - vavoom.txt is actually in english ! I had no reason to expect that given that almost all other files are not in english.
Then there's the website which has no usage information whatsover. There's a bit information about modding, but nothing on installation or running the game. I'm still unable to compile Vavoom and I'm currently running a windows version through wine - I don't know, maybe some of the various glitches and performance problems I'm experiencing are caused by wine bugs. Don't pay too much attention to examples below, I'll submit proper bug reports if I manage to compile native Linux version of Vavoom. If you want to help me, check this topic:viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3273
Examples of glitches:
- (on vdemo_d2.zip map, framerate drops to 20 fps when I make the barrels explode, framerate in general is very unstable and can drop very low. Core 2 duo 6800, GeForce 8800 GTX, 2 GB RAM, etc.)
- I can't get any vavoom map to work except vdemo_d2, vdemo_hr, and vdemo_hx . All others (wispers.zip, braham.zip, q2doom.zip; other links are dead) load DooM 2 Entryway instead.
- hall of mirrors effect in Heretic E1M2, near yellow key
- Hexen doesn't use proper "frozen monster" sprites, just turns monsters blue. It's ugly !
- I can slow down falling significantly by pressing forward into wall. For example, in Hexen level Guardian of Fire, I can jump down the pit near Flame Mask, taking only minor damage. In original Hexen and other source ports I tried this fall is fatal.